During this course, you will master the do's and don'ts of communicating by email. The topics include:
- Email length
- Response time
- Subject lines
- Formality (“Greetings” fall under this item)
- Acronyms and abbreviations
- “I hope all is well.”
- Emailing outside of standard business hours
- Using “you” instead of “I”
- Signing off with your name (in addition to your email signature)
- Copying – Reply or Reply All?
- Including a new person in an existing chain of emails
- Out-of-office messages
- Drafting with an empty “To field”
- High importance / Marking urgent
- Remembering to respond to each question
- Knowing when to use the telephone or meet face-to-face
- 12:00 p.m. vs. 12:00 pm
- Oxford commas (a.k.a. serial commas)
- One space vs. two spaces after a sentence
- Which is proper: email or e-mail?
- Misspelling of names --- capital letters, accents, commas, hyphens, etc.
- Dale, Leslie, Pat, Sam, Alex, Taylor, Riley
- Can you refer to "Stephen" as "Steve"? "Beverly" as "Bev"?
- ALL CAPS IS PERCEIVED AS SHOUTING!!!
- Following up
- Moving from a conversation to a calendar event
Ryan Standil leads seminars about effective written communication. The goal of the seminars is to teach participants how to view their own writing from the perspective of their readers.
Before he became a writing instructor, Ryan worked at a law firm in Toronto. Ryan attended Western University, in London, Ontario, where he graduated from the HBA program at the Ivey Business School and the JD program at the Faculty of Law.
Today, Ryan delivers his seminars at CPA Ontario, the Law Society of Ontario, and individual firms.
Ryan’s teaching is filled with practical examples. Attendees consistently remark that their sessions addressed the precise communication challenges they face every day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Get started now!
WAIT! BEFORE YOU ENROLL...
You might want to consider enrolling in our CPD Super Bundle. There, you'll get access to our ENTIRE course library for 75% OFF. Over $2,500 in courses and growing for a one-time payment of $499 CAD. How sweet is that?